After two years of absence from the German manufacturer’s portfolio, the VW Polo 2021 returns to USA. This hatchback car, built on the MQB A0 modular architecture, will enter the stiff competition at the top of the B segment. There, it will face similar models such as Mazda 2, Kia Rio, and Ford Fiesta, as well as others such as Peugeot 208, Citroën C3, Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza and the upcoming Toyota Yaris.
In this way, Volkswagen completes its national offer of vehicles that ranges from the Gol and Voyage to the Touareg SUV, passing through the Polo and Virtus, Jetta and Tiguan, waiting for the mini T-Cross SUV, about to arrive in the country.
VW Polo 2021 Exterior
With a classic and modern style at the same time, the VW Polo 2021 in front exhibits rectilinear headlights that blend into a slim shutter, with halogen headlights and LED daytime running lights, depending on the version. In the bumper, there are angled frames for the explorer lights, with an air inlet in black plastic and a division of the same color at the bottom.
On the sides, it shows a wide and high waistline, with wheel arches that can accommodate 15 or 16-inch wheels. Meanwhile, the rear features widened optics at the corners with angled edges, a very clean tailgate design, a bumper with a license plate holder, and a subtle air deflector.
Inside there is a good quality assembly, with plastics in a combination of light and dark gray tones, both on the dash and the door panels. Likewise, the top of the line incorporates details lacquered in light gray and piano black.
For its part, the center console features the 6.5-inch touch screen to operate the multimedia center, available from the intermediate model as well as the controls on the steering wheel, in turn, with a flat bottom and three spokes. Throughout the line, the instrument panel is similar, with a computer onboard.
What differences does it have with its European counterpart?
The VW Polo 2021 made in Brazil has a wider lower air intake in the bumper, its main optics lack LED lighting, the rear lights do not have a curved LED strip inside and the rear light distribution is different. Also, the tailgate has a groove to hold it, at the bottom.
Other changes are due to the multimedia center, with a smaller screen, upholstery in more sober colors, hard plastic on the door and dash panels, and the cell phone holder “Docking Station” with USB connection for cell phones.
Under the hood of 2020, VW Polo 2021 sits a naturally aspirated 1.6-liter 16-valve four-cylinder MSI engine. It reaches a maximum power of 110 horsepower at 5,750 rpm, and a torque of 155 Nm at 4,000 rpm, coupled with a five-speed mechanical gearbox or a six-speed Triptronic automatic.
Regarding the suspension, it is an independent McPherson type forward with a stabilizer bar and semi-independent back. The steering is electromechanically assisted, and the brakes have ventilated discs at the front and drums at the rear, with ABS assistance and electronic brake distribution.
Initially, in Colombia, the VW Polo 2021 is sold in Comfortline and Highline versions, although in the coming weeks the Trendline will be added, as an access step to the range. The Trendline and Comfortline versions have a manual or automatic gearbox, while the Highline only includes an automatic gearbox. This is the accessories list:
- Halogen headlights
- Mirrors with integrated directional, electrically adjustable and with Tilt Down function
- Steel wheels with cups
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Fabric upholstery
- Electric windows with One-Touch function
- Audio system with four speakers
- On-board computer
- MP3 / SD / AUX / USB / Bluetooth radio
- Air conditioning with dust and pollen filter
- Central locking with remote control
- Four airbags: two front and two side
- Hill-start assist
- Electronic Stability Control (ESP)
- Traction control (ASR)
- Torque control system (MSR)
- Intermittent Emergency Brake Light Activation (ESS)
- Three-point seat belts and head restraints for all five passengers
- ISOFIX system for child seats
- Burglar alarm with electronic immobilizer
- Front fog lights with turn signal and LED daytime running light
- 15-inch aluminum wheels
- Height and depth adjustable steering wheel
- Front center armrest
- Audio system with six speakers
- Electrochromic internal rearview mirror
- “Coming Home” and “Leaving Home” function
- Front and rear proximity sensors
- Rain and light sensor
- 16-inch two-tone aluminum wheels
- Shift paddles at the wheel
- Upholstery in Leatherette
- Audio system
- Cruce control
- Climatronic air conditioning
- Keyless Entry & Keyless Start System
- Tire pressure indicator
- Reverse camera
- Length: 4.05 meters
- Width: 1.75 meters
- Height: 1.46 meters
- Wheelbase: 2.56 meters
- Trunk capacity: 300 liters
VW Polo 2021 Price
Model: Volkswagen Polo (Sixth Generation)
Engine: 1.6 liters MSI, 16 valves, DOHC
Power: 110 hp @ 5,750 rpm
Torque: 155 Nm @ 4,000 rpm
Transmission: 5-speed manual or 6-speed Tiptronic automatic
Versions and prices (April / 2019):
– Mechanical Trendline: ND
– Automatic Trendline: ND
Price; $19,000 to $27,000
Warranty: 3 years or 100,000 kilometers.